Tuesday, November 22, 2011

The Deep South's Oldest Rivalry

Lots of things have happened in UGA football since the Auburn game on November 12, but I still wanted to write about us going to this game since it played such a key part in UGA winning the SEC East, which obviously doesn't happen too often for the Dawgs. It's something worth remembering, at least for Kyle and me!

Kyle and I got up early that Saturday morning in order to make it to Athens by noon, where we were supposed to meet my family at my brother's fraternity tailgate on Myers Quad. Thanks to a situation with Doc that came up right as we were walking out the door (isn't that how it always happens?), we were running thirty minutes late and were unable to park in the parking deck we normally use on gameday since it was already full. We ended up driving all over Athens looking for a (free) place to park, and finally met my family in front of Snelling dining hall about an hour later.

After we had our fill of tailgate food, we walked to The Red Zone in downtown Athens to browse for some Christmas gifts before the game started. I had heard that Lindsay Scott would be there for a book signing, and sure enough he was! Kyle got to shake hands with him and chat for a sec. Pretty cool!

And we know how the rest of the story goes, we KILLED Auburn 45-7, and went on to beat Kentucky a week later to win the SEC East. It's great to be a Georgia Bulldawg! After the game, we ate at my uncle's new restaurant downtown, The Volstead. It was crazytown in there after the game, but their fish taco is the best I've ever had and was SO worth the wait! And I'm not just saying that because I'm family. My Mom and I couldn't quit ranting and raving about it!

And while we're on the subject of UGA, I have to say that while we're on cloud nine due to winning the East, it is bittersweet to lose someone like Larry Munson who was such an integral part of the Bulldawg Nation. I'll never forget all those times riding in the car and listening to Larry Munson call the game when I was little, and even now hearing the replays of game-changing moments in Georgia history with his voice giving the play-by-play. There never was nor will there ever be anyone like him. We miss you, Larry!

Now here's to hoping we can get tickets to the SEC Championship!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails