Monday, May 16, 2011

Hello Hydrangea

When we first moved into the new house, we found a pleasant surprise in our backyard: a hydrangea bush! Hydrangeas are one of my favorite flowers, and I was beyond ecstatic to have a bush already grown and blooming in our backyard.

Unfortunately this bush was the victim of a little neglect (and this before photo is the victim of harsh afternoon light. Oops!), so while Kyle and I were doing yard work this weekend, I gave it a little trim:

Much, much better! It's amazing what a quick pruning can do.

But the party doesn't stop there. There's more on the way! I can't wait to have a bush full of blue blooms this summer.

In other yard news, we (as in Kyle) finally got around to cutting the grass. This is only a big deal because it's the first time we've had to cut the grass for our own place. And yes, I made sure Kyle applied plenty of sunscreen. I think his paleness is cute! ;)

There was a whole lot of this nastiness going on in the front yard that was driving me crazy. It had to go. Everything looks so much better now, but you would never know since I was a goof and forgot to take an after picture.

And for the first time, we've needed to know a thing or two about grass. There are a bunch of bare patches in the backyard, which in turn makes Doc track in dirt to the house, so we wanted to plant some grass seed and see if it will help. We consulted my cousin who was a Turfgrass Management major at UGA (Yep, that's a major. What else can you expect from a big football school?). After asking us a few questions, he suggested laying out Centipede grass seeds.

So this is Kyle laying out the Metro-Mix growing medium pictured above, which is actually step three in the process. We hope this will be the perfect temporary solution we were looking for.

When I wasn't taking pictures or eating ice pops, I tackled the daunting task of clearing off the patio, which I know doesn't sound too difficult. But when you factor in heaps and heaps of dead leaves, pine straw, and icky creepy crawlies, you'll understand why it basically took me all afternoon. And nope, no before or after pictures of that either. I'm #winning with these before and after photos! Anyway, Kyle and I really enjoyed working in the yard together this weekend and hope to get everything somewhat presentable by the time our families roll into town on Sunday. We're really excited about their visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails