Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Book Review: Clockwork Prince


Release Date: December 6, 2011
Pages: 510
Genre: Fantasy/Supernatural
Series: Yes! The Infernal Devices #2
-Clockwork Angel (2010)
-Clockwork Prince (2011)
-Clockwork Princess (2013)
Source and Format: Library; Hardcover

Summary (From Barnes & Noble)
In the magical underworld of Victorian London, Tessa Gray has found safety with the Shadowhunters. But that safety proves fleeting when it becomes clear that the mysterious Magister will stop at nothing to use Tessa’s powers for his own dark ends.

With the help of the handsome, tortured Will and the devoted Jem, Tessa discovers that the Magister’s war on the Shadowhunters is deeply personal and fueled by revenge. To unravel the secrets of the past, the trio journeys from mist-shrouded Yorkshire to a manor house that holds untold horrors. When they encounter a clockwork demon bearing a warning for Will, they realize that the Magister knows their every move—and that one of their own has betrayed them.

Tessa is drawn more and more to Jem, though her longing for Will continues to unsettle her. But something is changing in Will. Could finding the Magister free Will from his secrets and give Tessa answers about who she really is? As their search leads to deadly peril, Tessa learns that secrets and lies can corrupt even the purest heart.

Thoughts on Clockwork Prince
Something I think worth pointing out that I did not include in my review of Clockwork Angel is that while I really loved this series, these books are probably not for everyone. I think it's one of those series that you either love or hate. If reading about half-angels fighting demons in a Victorian London setting doesn't sound like your thing, you might want to take my gushing over these books with a grain of salt. ;)
 
With that said, I enjoyed this book even more than the first! Sometimes the middle book in a trilogy sort of falls flat and nothing really happens, but that is not the case with Clockwork Prince. There were plenty of adventures to be had and we find out a great deal about pretty much every character except Tessa. We still don't know exactly what she is and why she can do what she does. I expected a little more development on this front, but instead Clare focused on exploring the secondary characters and their stories, which still made for a compelling read.

On that note, one of the things I loved about these books is the different POVs. The story is told in third person omniscient - not just from Tessa's limited perspective - which allows us to see how the other characters develop relationships and deal with their own struggles. All of these interconnecting story lines played out just like a movie in my head!

If I had to point out one thing that bothers me about this series, it would be that some of the major conflicts were resolved a little too easily for me. I found myself thinking "That's it?!" quite a few times, but perhaps that was Cassandra Clare's purpose all along? Either way, I found myself disappointed with the resolution of a few plot lines in this one.

And don't worry, I am still sticking by my man Jem. Even though Will says some pretty amazing things to Tessa and the ending was one of the most heartbreaking things I have ever read -- drama drama drama! Without spoiling anything, I need to say this about the ending too -- it definitely read like a season finale for a TV show. Cassandra Clare just hits you with one shocker after another. I'm glad I was able to go straight into reading Clockwork Princess so I didn't have to hang out on that cliff too long.

Basically I feel like I didn't say much of anything in this review, but if you do get one thing out of it, it's that you need to READ THIS SERIES NOW. Like yesterday. And then be on Team Jem with me. Yay! That's all. :)

Memorable Quotes
"We live and breathe words...It was books that made me feel that perhaps I was not completely alone. They could be honest with me, and I with them. Reading your words, what you wrote, how you were lonely sometimes and afraid, but always brave; the way you saw the world, its colors and textures and sounds, I felt--I felt the way you thought, hoped, felt, dreamt. I felt I was dreaming and thinking and feeling with you. I dreamed what you dreamed, wanted what you wanted--and then I realized that truly I just wanted you."

"When two people are at one in their inmost hearts, they shatter even the strength of iron or bronze."

1 comment:

  1. I have been wondering about this series! I totally need to give them a try!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails